Re: alternatives to lead in autobody work

>>>Then there is Green Chemistry Award Winner POWERCRON 8000 at
http://www.ppg.com/car_indcoat/greenchemistry.htm which uses yttrium
instead of lead!  Also described at
http://www.ppg.com/car_indcoat/ts_mercedes.htm, what is this stuff?>>>

The coating is an electrodeposition primer used in automobile
manufacturing (coating of new vehicle bodies).   This is not a refinish
material.

 You probably have some yttrium at home in your color television - it
helps make the red in your picture.  Yttrium was first found in Ytterby,
Sweden.   Ytterby is also the home of the elements Ytterbium, Erbium and
Terbium.

>>>Has anyone any leads on getting lead out of automobile coatings?
Have you any experience or comments on emerging technologies for this
industry?>>>

In 2002, the California Air Resources Board passed a rule which
prohibits the use of chrome VI and cadmium in motor vehicle and mobile
equipment (refinish) coatings used in California.  Lead was not a direct
subject of this rulemaking, however, they found that most of the lead
was in coatings that also contained chrome.  The chrome-free coatings
were largely lead-free too, so the rule had the effect of greatly
reducing lead use and emissions from refinish.  There are many lead free
materials available and in use.

See <http://www.arb.ca.gov/regact/autoref/autoref.htm> and
<http://www.arb.ca.gov/coatings/autorefin/autorefin.htm>  .

>>>lead-free enamels using zinc or bismuth vanadates or metal oxides,
but it all looks pretty unproven for high performance.>>>

The link in your message is providing information about lead-free screen
printing inks for glass and ceramic which are fired at 600-900 degrees
C.  I don't think these are the same lead-free red, yellow and orange
pigments that are used in either original equipment coating or refinish
coating of motor vehicles.

Dave Salman
Coatings and Consumer Products Group
US EPA OAQPS
Mail Code C539-03
RTP NC 27711
tel (919) 541-0859
fax (919) 541-5689
e-mail salman.dave@epa.gov

|         |           Janet Clark      |
|         |           <clarkjan@turi.or|
|         |           g>               |
|         |           owner-p2tech@grea|
|         |           t-lakes.net      |
|         |           05/19/2004 04:19 |
|         |           Janet Clark      |
  |                                                                                                              |
  |       To:       p2tech@great-lakes.net                                                                       |
  |       cc:                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  alternatives to lead in autobody work                                                        |

Hi Guys,

Has anyone any leads on getting lead out of automobile coatings?  Have
you any experience or comments on emerging technologies for this
industry?

The following is from a fact sheet published in Australia describing the
use of lead in automobile coatings.  It is from this website:
http://www.deh.gov.au/atmosphere/airquality/lead/autopaints.html .

A google search (okay, I confess I use google sometimes) offers a pretty
good selection for consideration of lead-free enamels using zinc or
bismuth vanadates or metal oxides, but it all looks pretty unproven for
high performance.  Then there is Green Chemistry Award Winner POWERCRON
8000 at http://www.ppg.com/car_indcoat/greenchemistry.htm which uses
yttrium instead of lead!  Also described at
http://www.ppg.com/car_indcoat/ts_mercedes.htm, what is this stuff?

I understand Cindy McComas has experience with lead-free porcelain
coatings. Oh, I guess that would show coffee stains.

Janet Clark
TURI
.
.....begin...

Lead in auto paints
Lead colouring agents have been used for many years in auto enamels and
lacquers. The highest levels of lead are found in the orange, red and
yellow tones, where concentrations of more than 20% are common.

The pigments used in these highly coloured paints are based on lead
sulphochromate and molybdate lead chromate. They are opaque and can be
ground into fine particles, making them ideal for the high-gloss paints
used on cars. They are also durable and resistant to ultra-violet light.

For older cars, the refinish industry can only provide accurate colour
matches to vehicles that currently have paint containing lead on them by
using the same lead-based pigments. If you are using these products you
should be careful when sanding-down old paints and when spraying with
new ones. Some older cars may also contain lead auto-body filler.

Lower concentrations of lead are present in the greens, browns and
beiges.

Auto paints may also contain lead in the form of lead driers (at levels
up to 0.5% by weight). They are used on trucks and commercials, and in
anti-corrosive pigments in some primers used on new cars.

Many of the paints sold in aerosol cans as touch-up paints contain lead.
These spray packs are used by car owners to camouflage small areas of
damage.
.......end.......

......begin....
http://www.screenweb.com/industrial/cont/leadfree0700.html

Janet Clark
Toxics Use Reduction Institute,  University of Massachusetts
One University Ave,     Lowell, MA 0`854-2866
Tel 978-934-3346,                                      Fax 978-934-3050
http://www.turi.org

Adjusted for production, TURA filers have decreased their toxic chemical
use by 45% and
are generating 69% less byproducts. During this same eleven years,  core
TURA filers reported
an overall 45% increase in production!