RE: NPR Series on Homeland Security at Chemical Plants

In a post to P2TECH earlier today, Thomas Vinson
(TVINSON@tceq.state.tx.us) asked (in part):

> NPR's Morning Edition is doing a series of stories on security at
Chemical Plants.
> This morning they mentioned P2 at a wastewater treatment plant outside
of Washington D.C.
> The plant had switched from a chlorine based product to a safer
chemical.
> Anyone know the details?

According to a US PIRG briefing available at
http://www.ems.org/chemical_plants/inherent_safety.html,
the example is taken from the Blue Plains Sewage Treatment facility.  It
switched from Chlorine gas to sodium hypochlorite bleach.  The facility
accelerated their existing plans to make the switch following the
9/11/01 attack on WTC and the Pentagon.

I reference this example and several others in a presentation I gave at
the NPPR meeting last week in Louisville, on the linkage between P2 and
Plant Security.  I will try to get this presentation online at
ChemAlliance later this week (check at
http://www.chemalliance.org/presentations/P2_and_plant_security.htm
starting on Tuesday) but can also send a copy of the viewgraphs to
anyone who requests them.  (I didn't want to send an attachment with
this post).

As Thomas knows (because he was there), a group of us interested in the
intersection between P2 and plant security topics met at the Roundtable
meeting to establish a work group on the topic.  The group is chaired by
Tim Piero of the KY P2 Center.  Tim's e-mail is tpiero@louisville.edu
and you can contact him, myself, or Sharon Baxter
(skbaxter@deq.state.va.us) of VA DEQ if you're interested in
participating.

SB
Scott Butner
Director, ChemAlliance
c/o Pacific NW National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA  99352
Voice: (509)-372-4946/Fax: (509) 375-2443
Website: http://www.chemalliance.org/
E-mail: scott.butner@pnl.gov