Performance indicators

Hello All!

I am doing a small task related to developing performance indicators and I
wanted to see if anyone had advice and experience to offer.

The US-Mexico Chamber of Commerce and the EPA developed the "Seven Principles of
Environmental Stewardship for the 21st Century"  (available at
http://www.epa.gov/usmexicoborder/ef.htm, click on Border Related News, then
click on the Seven Principles) and they are getting businesses in the Mexico
border region to sign on to them.

They would like to be able to measure progress resulting from businesses signing
on to these principles as a whole (not individual company progress per se).
Have any of you developed or used performance measures to measure the successes
of a policy-type program like this?  Or, say, used indicators for a whole
community pollution prevention program, where you wanted to be able to attribute
the success to just that program's activities?  Any examples you can send me?
Any pitfalls I should avoid?

Thank you for your help!

Jill Engel-Cox
Battelle, Pacific Northwest Division
on contract to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
202.422.9593
engel-cox.jill@epa.gov
jill.engel-cox@pnl.gov