Airline Wastes: Reply

Ron's statement:

I travel often and every time I fly it urks me that when I ask for tea or
coffee the
flight attendant hands out two or three packets of creamer and sugar, even
though
I don't ask for them.   When it is time for the attendants to clear the
food/drinks
from the trays, they discard the perfectly good food.  Yesterday, I made a
point of
handing the unopened packets to the attendant and asking her to reissue to
someone else.  But it was easier for her to trash it.

We also see these attitudes at fast food restaurants.  How can we change this
wasteful
practice which appears to be nation-wide?

Ron Joseph
--------------------------------------------------->
Ron,
I think you brought up some good points.  Collectively, I bet there are enough
packets of sugar, condiments, and related food items discarded from
restaurants, cafeterias, bars, etc. to start a lucrative business.  And what about
all the left-over food and beverages that are discarded; are there P2
opportunities here?   I think this problem works both ways, that is, the proprietor
may offer these items to the customers whether or not the customers request
them, and a customers may request them but use only a portion.  Obviously, an
effective P2 program or commitment to P2 must trickle down to the most
overlooked items or situations, regardless of scale, that may be taken for
granted restaurant viewed as unimportant.    If owners inform (in menus) their
customers up front that they have a special fee or food tax on sugar,
condiments, and other items, the customer may  be more selective or judicious
[They also may decide to go to another restaurant].  I don't see why people in
the food service field/business are reluctant to "reuse" these items.  Of course,
I can understand situations where the items have been partially used or
contaminated with grease or some food item, but if the package or item has not
been adulterated, what's the big deal?  Obviously, some of these items that
one finds on the table in a restaurant such as bottles of catsup, syrup, and
cream, have been used over and over again by customers, and there is no
way of knowing whether the children dropped a bottle on the floor or played
with the cream dispenser.  I definitely think this is an area for developing
educational material not only on usage, but on P2 alternatives for these
discarded materials.

Art Coleman
Ohio EPA, Division of Hazardous Waste Management