E-M:/ Trade Unionists Combat Illegal Dumping

Enviro-Mich message from CSim592951@aol.com

Wabash/Vermont/Marquette Community
POB 44474
Detroit MI 48244

Dear Friends,
Please join the residents and friends of the Wabash/Vermont/Marquette
neighborhood in our clean up and celebration on Saturday, July 6, between 9-
2 p.m. when volunteers of the United Auto Workers come out to assist us in
cleaning up the industrial site on Wabash and Marquette.

The site has a long history of illegal dumping and has been an attractive but
dangerous nuisance to children who play there. But neighbors and friends from
CPR and the 4-H Club have been working on Saturday mornings for the past two
months to clean up the large construction debris left there 2 years ago
following the illegal demolition of the factory complex.

We have begun to paint rocks and bricks to place around the perimeter in
order to beautiful the location and also to give notice to prospective
illegal dumpers to keep out. Across the street on the vacant lots, we are
preparing to establish a community garden where the children and seniors can
plant vegetables or flowers while we talk together about future plans for
economic development and affordable housing.

Metro Detroit UAW volunteers under the leadership of Jimmy Settles, Director
of Region IA, and former west side resident, will be setting the example that
rank and file workers everywhere should take an active role in supporting
communities in need.

Schools, Friends of the library church members, business folk, neighbors and
friends of all ages are invited to come and paint rocks, help serve
refreshments or participate in any of the cleanup activities. Seniors are
asked to share their experiences with the youth about gardening, canning
food, quilting, cooking, or renovating historic homes. We want to build a
warm and loving relationship between the elders and youth that will continue
throughout the years.  That is our view of resurrecting Detroit communities
from the ground up.

In the Spirit of Community Building

Charles E. Simmons
(resident, 6179 Wabash)